Having a good, carefree start really makes your holiday-at-sea even more enjoyable. Are you starting your adventure with us, at Cruise Port IJmuiden this season? Here is some essential information to make your embarkation day smooth and enjoyable.
Many travelers make their way to Cruise Port IJmuiden on their own, and unfortunately, in previous seasons, we have seen quite a few ending up at the wrong terminal or even in a different city. So, let’s make sure you arrive at the right place. Here’s a handy tip: If you can’t see the ship’s funnel you’ll be sailing on, there’s a 99% chance you’re not where you need to be! And if you’re taking a taxi, don’t let it leave unless you are completely sure you are at the correct terminal!
If you’re arriving by car, you can follow these directions to reach the right spot, and you can also pre-book your parking space. But, rest assured, you’ve found the perfect starting point for your journey, so let’s kick off the boarding process!
1. Review Your Documents:
- Please go through all your travel documents before you arrive at the terminal to avoid unnecessary wait times for you and your fellow travelers.
- Do not arrive at the terminal earlier than the check-in time specified in your documents. You may have to wait long(er) in a terminal with limited facilities.
2. Baggage Check:
- When you arrive at the cruise terminal, you can check your baggage for direct delivery to your onboard cabin.
- Make sure to clearly label your stateroom, cabin, or suite on your luggage using the tags provided in your travel documents. If you don’t have these tags, just ask the terminal staff or porters for assistance.
- Keep your passports, medications, valuables, and delicate items like beauty cases and laptops in your carry-on luggage to prevent any damage.
3. Check-In Process:
- After checking your baggage, follow the cruise line staff to the (pre-)check-in area located in the main hall of the Felison Cruise Terminal.
- The cruise line staff will verify your identification and boarding documents. Without the proper travel documents, you will always be denied boarding the cruise ship.
4. Comfortable Waiting:
- If you need to wait, relax in the waiting area or the lounge on the mezzanine level of the terminal.
- You’ll find clean restrooms, a spacious seating area, and a coffee corner offering hot and cold drinks and light snacks (limited opening times).
- Enjoy the view from the balcony, take photos of the ship, and make use of the free high-speed Wi-Fi throughout the terminal. No password is required for the Wi-Fi network.
- Please never leave your belongings unattended, even briefly.
5. Security Screening:
- When it’s time to board, follow the guidance of cruise line staff to the passenger screening area on the ground floor of the terminal.
- You’ll also find boarding information on the TV screens.
6. Passport and Customs Checks:
- Depending on the ship’s next port, your passport or European identification card may be checked by immigration or police officers (known as the “Koninklijke Marechaussee” in the Netherlands). Please be patient and respect your fellow passengers’ privacy.
- Your belongings may also be inspected by customs officers (“Douane”) for security reasons.
7. Welcome Aboard:
- Once the checks are complete, the ship’s staff will warmly welcome you and guide you through the remaining boarding process, taking you to your onboard accommodation.
- If your cruise ends at Cruise Port IJmuiden, you can collect your belongings in the baggage area within or next to the cruise terminal.
- Detailed instructions and (color-coded) luggage tags will be provided by your cruise ship’s staff on the day before your disembarkation.
We hope you have a fantastic cruise experience and wish you smooth sailing!
For completeness, we would like to inform you that each cruise line has its own set of rules. Therefore, variations or deviations from the above procedures may occur. Rest assured, all involved staff members will make every effort to ensure a smooth embarkation and disembarkation process in every instance.